Nouvelles - 2007
- October 24, 2007 - Congratulations are in order for Dr. Bryce whose successful CFI proposal will fund a new solids NMR spectrometer.
- October 17, 2007 - The Bruker AVANCE 400 with sample changer has become very busy lately often with queues exceeding 24 hours. I'd like to point out that while you are waiting (impatiently) for your NMR data, the AVANCE 500 and INOVA 500 are often available for your use. Many new NMR users have decided to get trained only on the AVANCE 400. I encourage you to get trained on the other instruments as well. There will be a time when the AVANCE 400 is unavoidably out of service and you will be unable to obtain NMR data.
- October 5, 2007 - 1H NMR experiments with 11B decoupling are now available as an option on the Bruker AVANCE 500. For best results, set the parameter "o2p" to the approximate chemical shift of the center of 11B resonances.
- August 23, 2006 - An NMR blog has been linked to this site. Take a look at it for the latest news, advice, suggestions for interesting NMR reading and interesting NMR spectra.
- June 5, 2007 - The Gemini 200 NMR spectrometer in D'Iorio Hall room 430 has been decommissioned.
- May 15, 2007 - 11B NMR experiments are now available as an option on the Bruker AVANCE 400 to be run in automation on the sample changer.
- May 8, 2007 - HSQC and edited HSQC experiments are now available on the AVANCE 400 and 500. These are heteronuclear correlation experiments similar to the HMQC experiments. The HSQC experiments will provide cleaner spectra than the magnitude HMQC spectra however, they will require phasing. The edited HSQC experiment will give CH and CH3 positive and CH2 negative. Follow this link for a comparison between the HSQC and edited HSQC spectra for a sample of 1% 3-heptanone in CDCl3 (positive is black and negative is red). Both data sets were acquired in 10 minutes.
- April 30, 2007 - From May 1 - August 31 the AVANCE 300 in the undergraduate laboratory will be made available for research use. As the NMR Facility is unable to assign keys to this area, all samples run on this instrument will be run by the NMR lab staff as a service. To have your samples run on this instrument, please fill out a request form and leave your sample and the form in the NMR lab in D'Iorio 416.
- March 5, 2007 - A new technique has been implemented on the Bruker AVANCE 400 with sample changer to help improve sample throughput and efficiency. The DEPTQ 135 technique is now available for selection in the list of experiments. This technique has all of the information content of a standard 13C spectrum plus all of the information of a standard DEPT 135 spectrum. In a DEPTQ 135 spectrum the quaternary and methylene carbons are antiphase with respect to the methine and methyl carbons. I suggest that you use this technique in place of a standard 13C spectrum as it will almost always avoid the need to run both a standard 13C spectrum and a standard DEPT 135 spectrum. For a comparison of standard 13C, standard DEPT 135 and DEPTQ 135 spectra for 10% ethylbenzene in CDCl3, click here.